Adventures with latest Android Studio

Recently I wanted to do a bit of a POC for bluetooth connection on an android phone. So had to setup Android Development environment. After browsing around for a while I saw that google is pushing Android Studio as main development platform for android apps. So I went to the google page and got Zip of android studio. Then unzipped it and started it. Turned out there are some issues, if you have to select non-standard path. And I was stuck there for couple of hours. AS (Android Studio) would download the SDK and tools to selected custom folder but would not detect the SDK. After trying couple of times and googling for couple of hours with no solution in sight, I decided to go ahead and let it pollute the system.

So it installed SDK in default location. Then it took couple of restarts and tries just getting it to detect the SDK. Then I created a simple project. And tried to compile it. Turns out the compilation is crazy slow. And then it was running time. I had not added an device or anything. So I went to device selection dropdown, next to debug config dropdown. And created a new simulation device. Then it downloaded the selected image. And then asked me to install intel HAXM. Turns out on an Intel processor you need this sofwtare to run the image. And I don't have Admin Access since the laptop I'm doing all this on is company given. So efforts stalled.

Anyway even though I did not accomplish much, what I learned was Android App development has not gotten much better from Eclipse ADT days. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting