The pervasive advertising behemoths

If you are using an Android phone, you must know the amount of user data that's getting shared with advertisers by the OS, the various Apps and maybe every webpage that you visit. 
Yesterday I ordered a battery for our family camera. It's a Sony Cybershot W510. Nice entry level camera and it's working great all these years. Recently I noticed the battery life has taken a hit and this comes with a rechargeable battery. So I ordered one off Snapdeal for 700Rs. That's about $11. I also searched for the battery on Amazon. I also did something else - added a W800 Cybershot to my Amazon wish list. I'll probably buy the newer one in couple of months and gift it to parents while I keep and use the old one. I do stuff like that. I keep the shittiest of things for myself and give everybody else better things. 
Anyway this morning I just added a file in ADM downloader app. And at the bottom there was a Amazon add for W810 Cybershot cam. Spooky!!! Makes me hate targeted advertising, especially when it's on a device. 
Last week I heard somewhere in New York, they are going to have add boards with targeted ads. Ads will be displayed related to people travelling nearby. Think when someone passes by who does only lingerie shopping on Amazon, and all of a sudden all lingerie models crowd around. That's fucked up!!

This all has made me think of trying to use the Jolla and see how the waters are on the other shore. Let's see if I feel adventurous enough. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting