Lenovo G580 parting, and G405 maintenance


The other lenovo in the family - Lenovo G405 which my father is using, recently lost its battery and so father asked me to get a replacement (battery). But due to geographical constraints and COVID I could not do that. Also my recent visit was going to be only a day so I decided to just go ahead and overhaul my Lenovo G580 and give it to father.
That meant a number of things - open up chassis and clean it up, replace it's dead battery, check out keyboard if it's going to fail again, and few small things.
Luckily I had just couple of years ago opened this one up completely and replaced it's CPU's thermal grease, and it's been running quite cool. It seldom goes over 57 degrees which is great for a 2016, 28nm part with 35W TDP.
So I spent 3-4 hours getting all this done. Got a Lapcare replacement battery for 2000Rs which will be good for another couple of years. Rest all looked great. Then last month I visited my hometown and exchanged laptops.
Now the G405 which I got was mechanically fine, though full of dust. It needed major cleaning. I unfortunately don't have any pics before cleaning, but below are some after cleaning.










That took a lot of work. Basically scrubbing, wiping and more scrubbing. This laptop has sort of matt look and a wet cloth does not work as well.
Instead you need a brush - a toothbrush which I used - along with some soapwater, ensuring none of that goes in the electronics. And all this followed by a wipe with  dry microfiber cloth.
Thankfully on electronics side, besides the battery, everything else is functional. So I'll spend some cash to get a replacement battery. And this laptop will be as good as new. It's about 6.5 years old and has held up pretty good. 
So that's all for now! Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting