Upgrading Debian 7 to Debian 10 Adventure

Upgrading to Debian 8 from 7 
Jessie from wheezy

1. Perform full system backup 

2. Upgrade existing os version. 
apt-get update && apt-get -V upgrade

3. Get current status 
lsb_release -a 
uname -a 

4. Change repositories 
Replace wheezy with jessie manually or as below:
sed -i 's/wheezy/jessie/g' /etc/apt/sources.list 

Also update any files if present in /etc/apt/sources.apt.d 

5. Perform full system update 
apt-get update && apt-get -V upgrade 

If required reboot 

Update 1: Debian 7 Wheezy to Debian 8 Jessie update done.
And Debian 8 Jessie to Debian 9 Stretch upgrade also complete. The upgrades were taking too long. And looking at the terminal messages I realized, I could have saved a lot of the time if I would have cleaned up the system earlier. There's a lot of stuff like mono, OpenJDK, perl, python,  ruby which I'm never going to use.

Anyway to Buster now.

Update 2: I spent a lot of time cleaning up the system and then made the changes to start Buster update. Thankfully it went fairly quickly. 
I also ended up installing Mate DE since I hate Gnome. There were couple of things like proxy setting which I needed to remove. 

Now it's alright and I'm well set up to move ahead. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting