(Meld, Gnome, Crap) All in one sentence

I have been using Meld for about 3 yrs. And it has been solid. Until today! Actually what happened is I have not been using Linux and Meld for last 3-4 months. Today I required some code merging in Linux. So I fired up Meld and started going at it. I was about halfway, when suddenly my laptop hung. Wait! Ubuntu never hangs! So after struggling to open a System Monitor windows for five minutes I went through the apps and voilla. It is meld! WTF!
Then I saw that Meld has opened separate threads for all the docs I have opened and merged and closed. But it conveniently forgot to kill those threads and each thread was eating about 120MB memory and there were about 30+ of them. Gods!
Anyway, I killed Meld and the system recovered from the butchery. Then just to coonfirm I opened the folders in merge and confirmed that my analysis is correct that indeed for each opened file a new thread is getting created and when file is closed it's not getting closed. Ok, I check the version - it's 3.18. I go to the development site to file a bug. Found a link. That took me to a gitlab.gnome.org site needing login. I tried G+ login - does not work. Tried to register - Email is not from allowed domain. Tried five different EMails - same error. No way to report registration error. And so by proxy, no way to report the bug! Great Gnome and Meld people.
Frustrated, I opened terminal and ran below command:
sudo apt purge meld
Then I installed Kompare. It installed 65MB of kde crapware libs. And Kompare is a pain in the ass to use. Thanks for the so superb unintuitive interface. I mean I could not find a keyboard shortcut for merging text. Guys!!!
Still with pain in my neck - I was done after taking three times the time and efforts that would a working Meld have saved! Alas!
Does gnome infect other nearby projects with its crap? god knows!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting