Visual Studio VC++, C code, and slow claps

Well, since these days the only thing I do with my home laptop is watch a shitload of movies and TV Shows, I don't have anything to share about my adventures right now. But in my office work, I'm facing much adventures. So this is a story about that.
I am an embedded programmer these days. Yeah, it is a far cry from the server to desktop coder I worked as few years back. But I want to stick around in my current company and besides it pays the bills ( and EMIs and few shouks that I have). Anyway so I was given a task to run the embedded C code on Desktop and that also on Windows. Now we have an allegory - windows means Visual Studio. So because of this I have a VS2012 install lying about on my Windows partition of office laptop. So I created a branch of the main embedded code. And then created a project in VS2012, and imported existing files. And start compiling...
It was really frustrating. On first compile I got roughly 3000 errors. By next day I had fixed almost all the issues. And only about 200 warnings remained. I would otherwise have left them as it is, but we have 0 warning policy so another day spent cleaning up the code. Then I compared this modified code with the original code base and spent half-a-day removing clunky code. And so my SIMULATION base was ready.
For last 2-3 days I'm testing the features one by one for runtime issues. Also making changes wherever needed, and overall improving the code base. I also managed to hit upon 2-3 bugs regarding memory overflow/corruption which went undetected in the embedded code since there's no memory check at runtime. Overall tiring but at the same time exciting time!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting