Newest Acquisition: Beaglebone Black Kit



Last week I ordered a Beaglebone black with a power supply, basic transparent case, a HDMI-D to HDMI-A adapter and a USB WiFi adapter. To complete the kit, I needed to use a usb-hub and keyboard-mouse. Plus I used the existing Samsung monitor with HDMI cable. I could not find my original USB-A Hub, so ended up using USB-C hub that I had bought for wife. Luckily I found a USB-A to USB-C adapter as well. Finally the case won't fit the HDMI adapter properly, so I adjusted the adapter clearance by scraping off some plastic and then it fit perfectly.
I also needed to dig out my DLink router to connect the board via Ethernet. Trying to configure the router was a bit of a pain. But a reset and some finagling in the router settings quickly had it running as repeater to existing Tata Fiber router. That sorted finally the Beagle bone black was online.
The Beaglebone black has following specs:

Texas Instruments Sitara AM3358

  • Memory
    • SDRAM: 512MB DDR3L 800MHZ
    • Onboard Flash: 4GB, 8bit Embedded MMC (eMMC)
  • SD/MMC Connector for microSD
  • Power management:TPS65217C PMIC is used along with a separate LDO to provide power to the system
  • Debug Support: Optional Onboard 20-pin CTI JTAG, Serial Header
  • Power Source
    • miniUSB USB or DC Jack
    • 5VDC External Via Expansion Header
  • Connectivity
    • High speed USB 2.0 Client port: Access to USB0, Client mode via miniUSB
    • High Speed USB 2.0 Host port: Access to USB1, Type A Socket, 500mA LS/FS/HS
    • Serial Port: UART0 access via 6 pin 3.3V TTL Header. Header is populated
    • 10/100M Ethernet (RJ45)
  • User Input / Output
    • Reset Button
    • Boot Button
    • Power Button
    • LED power indicator
    • 4 user configurable LEDs
  • Video/Audio Interfaces
    • HDMI D type interface
    • LCD interface
    • Stereo audio over HDMI interface
  • Expansion Interfaces via 2x 46 pin headers
    • LCD, UART, eMMC
    • ADC, I2C, SPI, PWM
  • Compact Size of a Mint Tin
Hardware cost:
5V 2A DC power adapter- INR 289/-
HDMI-D to HDMI-A adapter - INR 189/-
TPLink 160MBPS 2.4GHz wifi adapter - INR 499/-
Beaglebone Black: INR 6499/-

Next step was apt update. Beaglebone black comes with 4GB of flash and it had debian IOTCore image. It does not have any GUI, and I needed one to take logs and stuff.
The image has a default "debian" user with "temppwd" as password. So took some time to apt update && apt upgrade.
Next step was to install a desktop - so I went and installed xfce4. I don't know if the 4GB memory will fit it properly or not. But I'm going to try. Anyway I have a 16GB SD Card that I am not using in Raspberry Pi anymore. So last resource I can always use the SD Card.
Next few known steps are to rsync this rootfs to SDK on company laptop and then try to compile cmake test application. If it compiles, well and good, and run that on the board. And after that continue with other tasks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting

[QT] CREATE AN ODT FILE