Tuesday, December 10, 2019

New phone - Realme 3

Versions: RMX1825, RMX1821

TechnologyGSM / HSPA / LTE
Announced2019, March
StatusAvailable. Released 2019, March
Dimensions156.1 x 75.6 x 8.3 mm (6.15 x 2.98 x 0.33 in)
Weight175 g (6.17 oz)
BuildFront glass, plastic body
SIMDual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
TypeIPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size6.22 inches, 96.6 cm2 (~81.8% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution720 x 1520 pixels, 19:9 ratio (~270 ppi density)
ProtectionCorning Gorilla Glass 3
OSAndroid 9.0 (Pie), planned upgrade to Android 10.0; ColorOS 6
ChipsetMediatek MT6771 Helio P60 (12 nm)
Mediatek Helio P70 (12nm)
CPUOcta-core (4x2.0 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4x2.0 GHz Cortex-A53)
Octa-core (4x2.1 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4x2.0 GHz Cortex-A53)
GPUMali-G72 MP3
Card slotmicroSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
Internal32GB 3GB RAM, 64GB 3GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM
Main Camera
Dual13 MP, f/1.8, 1/3.1", 1.12µm, PDAF
2 MP, depth sensor
FeaturesLED flash, HDR
Selfie Camera
Single13 MP, f/2.0, 1/3", 1.12µm
Loudspeaker Yes
3.5mm jack Yes
WLANWi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot
Bluetooth4.2, A2DP, LE
RadioFM radio
USBmicroUSB 2.0, USB On-The-Go
SensorsFingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, proximity, compass
 Non-removable Li-Po 4230 mAh battery
ChargingBattery charging 10W
ColorsBlack, Dynamic Black, Radiant Blue, Diamond Red
ModelsRMX1825, RMX1821
Price₹ 7,999 / $ 123.47 / £ 151.83

Performance Basemark OS II: 2104 / Basemark OS II 2.0: 2020
Basemark X: 19157
Display Contrast ratio: 1464:1 (nominal), 2.918 (sunlight)
Camera Photo / Video
Loudspeaker Voice 66dB / Noise 71dB / Ring 81dB
Audio quality Noise -93.5dB / Crosstalk -91.6dB
Battery lifeEndurance rating 108h

First impression: Hardware does not look or feel cheap. Due to the big battery, phone has a heft. But it's about 20gm heavier than my older phone honor 5x, so not much of a difference. 
Looks are subjective, but I find the screen big, and strictly two-handed use. Otherwise usage experience is fine. With 4GB of RAM almost no delays are seen. Things are fluid and fast. 
One thing I hate is there's tons of bloatware. And the google ones are also not removable or disable able. A quick Google search turned up a small tutorial to get rid of these things using adb shell. Not for your average user though. 

Anyway for the price of 8100/- this is steal. So I got it. 

Friday, November 15, 2019

Should Vodafone die?

This post relates to current situation in Indian Telecom industry. Recently courts have decided that the telcos should pay more to govt as part of AGR revenue. The telecom sector was inefficient for last few years with outrageous data charges, pathetic service and huge indebtedness due to high spectrum charges and regulatory boondoggles. 2G spectrum auction was a big screwup by govt. And later rapid introduction of 3G and 4G meant the incumbent telcos did not manage to recover what they spent on spectrum. 
Next came Jio and caused bankruptcies all around. Most small telcos shut shop. Others brought in loans and funding partners and some merged. 
Now current position is Vodafone Idea - which merged last year, are going to go kaput if they are made to pay 90000Cr Rs in next 3 months. Airtel has more than 1Lac Cr of debt. Heck, even Jio has around 40000 Cr of debt. So now only way is for fares to go up. And after bit more consolidation, they will go up. But where is the quality? 
And I think that's a big question. I checked out a dozen customer touch point reviews for both Airtel and Vodafone. And found them terrible. Many had 1* rating. People were saying I won't be a customer since service is so pathetic. I personally witnessed this when I switched from PrePaid to postpaid on Airtel and also when I wanted to switch back to Prepaid. No store would have prepaid SIMs for porting. Only postpaid Sims were available. So frustrated by this I switched to Jio. Now telefonic experience of Reliance Jio ia really not all that great either. Calls drop all the time. Internet doesn't work any good in peak hour. And sometime calls and sms stop working, but that may be my old mobiles fault as much as Jio. 
Anyway so with this service I don't think Vodafone, or for that matter Airtel will keep any customers. 
Maybe if Jio's customer service ia similar, then only these others have any chance. Otherwise no mercy. 
And special mention to BSNL, I heard that almost half of 1Lac workforce ia taking VRS. Good for everybody. Maybe the govt should do the same for Air India. 

Saturday, November 9, 2019

Firefox on Raspbian

Recently I noticed that I'm using Chromium a lot even though I have Firefox installed. The reason turned out is the browser shortcut on panel. Anyway I fiddled a bit with panel and got Firefox there too. 
Then came usage. Turned out I needed few addons. First came Adblocking. Then h264ify for youtube on raspberry pi. Then after using this setup for 15 mins I found out google sites don't work. Hmm, bit of googling and then another add-on "User agent switcher" fixed this. 
Hmm I thought now things would be great. But I was sorely mistaken. Because my RPi3B+ hanged in next 15 mins and I lost this post - which I was typing in Text Editor. And I had to restart it manually. Sucks. 
So I think for web browsing on RPi3 I'm going for Chromium only.