Electrical issues everywhere

I have come across some really low quality wires in use in some places, and after just a few years the rubber has stiffened and is now giving problems.
First instance was with the ceiling fans. See the house wiring is of good quality, sufficient gauge. But the installers used a very cheap quality wiring that became hard and cracked. A couple of fans out of the 4 I have in this house stopped working. When I looked at the wiring, I found out that these low quality patches have become rock hard and useless. I had just about enough good quality wiring to replace these patches in the 2 ceiling fans. I wanted to do the rest also, but did not have enough wire.
I got some good quality wire of 5 mtr to be exact, but then did not have time and it just went on the side. I'm waiting on the low quality wiring to go hard and go bad. Lets see.
The next instance was with some accessory wiring in my scooter. It's 5 years old, and I found out that the headlight and indicator wires are gone rock hard and rubber cracked in a few places. I was lucky that it did not burn down the vehicle but the battery died and it needed about 50 kicks to start.
Anyway I opened the headlight assembly and used a bunch of electric tape to isolate the cracked sections and also added some in a few places where the wiring was brushing against some other wires due to handle movement. Yeah, this thing has the headlight mounted on handle and has lots of movement thus more cracking of wires.
At least this issue is fixed now, but I really wanted to take some time and do it properly by replacing the wires by using solder and heat-shrink sleeves. But I don't have heat-shrink tubing and no hair-drier or propane torch. And I don't want to spend hundreds of  rupees on these little repair. Also it's not like I'm working on hardware all the time. So anyway it's fixed for now, but if I see any issues in future maybe I'll replace the wires and do it properly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting