Making home wifi safer

I saw a warning popup on my windows laptop regarding "security issue with wifi network". I clicked on the popup and it took me to a page where it informed me that the home wifi is using TKIP cypher for security and it's obsolete. I should use AES.
I opened my router's configuration page and checked in wireless settings. Found out that by default the router supports both WPA1 and WPA2. And as with WPA1 TKIP cypher is used.
This is not good. So I set it to explicitly use AES with WPA2 support. Now the warning is gone.
But my wifi router is dual band - so I have 2 SSID's with one for 2.4GHz and other for 5GHz. This change I have made is to 5GHz band. Now all other older devices connect to the 2.4GHz band. So I have a big exercise there to see if I can shift to AES/WPA2 on 2.4GHz band too.
I don't think that will be possible with all these 3-4 year old other laptops and phones. But lets see. The more secure things are the better things are!!

On other hand, I also looked at WPA Enterprise, which is even better than WPA Personal. BTW these WPA1/2 I was talking about belong to WPA Personal. With WPA Enterprise though I need a RADIUS server, which could store all the user records, then these users credentials shall be authenticated with the help of this RADIUS server, and it will be much more difficult to hack. Not really sure if it will be or not but surely should be more difficult, than a single common password.
Though this looks a bit complex to setup and maintain. And with not a lot of time available at hand, I decided to not do it. Current settings are enough, till someone comes and burns down the house.
Cheers!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting