Laptop upgrade and OS install adventures

Yesterday I bought 4GB of DDR3 RAM and a 240GB MAXTOR SSD. Installed it in the lenovo laptop. And the started the vicious OS installation drama. I won't write the whole tale, but there were two issues. 1. Linux Mint's GRUB bootloader crashed when installing with UEFI on. 2. Windows won't recover existing installation. Anyway after about 5 hours I was done and Windows and Linux were humming along nicely.
Now about performance improvement: things have become great. The processor is the only slow thing in this laptop now. And even then it's adequate for most of the things I am doing on this.
Windows 7 boots in about 30 seconds. Linux - even faster. I have about 10 tabs open in Firefox including 1 GMail and couple of google drive documents. Nothing is slow. Anyway, the cost was a bit high because I got the hardware from a local shop. Online it would have been cheaper, but getting good RAM online is tricky. Anyway it was INR 2000/- ($29) for 4GB DDR3 RAM and INR 3250/- ($47) for 240GB SSD. So overall good value. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting