Finally a pagefile for linux get me working

I have told you in my last post that the 320GB old HDD failed to handle the works. Now today I was looking for some other solution. And I thought of swap file. Upon searching the internet I got to this solution.
So accordingly I created a 1G .swap file on the external HDD. Then using mkswap utility I formatted it to swap, and later using swapon utility mounted it as swap.
After this I checked the system opening multiple programs and testing the swapfile usage.
As of now I could open GMail and GDocs both in Firefox and the laptop has been smooth sailing so far. I know it cannot handle a lot of load. But for me this was the last use case. And I'm happy that its working with whatever limitations.
So that's all. This old Acer laptop does have some life in it yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Quotes

QCalendarWidget CSS Stylesheeting